Social

Cable-duct concrete block, with XLVIII (48) opening

Inventory number: T16 98.18.0.
Year of creation: 1900
Location: Arcade

The reconstruction of cable lines of the Hungarian local telephone network launched in Budapest in 1890, by domestication of the Swedish block conduit duct construction procedure of drawing-in system. The duct networks of the cable lines consisted of connected pipe-network buried in earth generally under the footway and constructed from 1 meter long multibay concrete blocks. The first Hungarian cable duct was constructed by using XIII bay concrete blocks in 1898, in Budapest between the Szerencs Street (today Paulay Ede Street) telephone exchange and the Gránátos Street (today Városház Street) Main Post Office. Then, converting into cable of the aerial line sections of the capital city overloaded by great number of wires continued intensively. Building in of the 25,000th concrete block was a prominent event which was celebrated by the then officers of the Post by placing a copper memorial tablet with their engraved signature. Features of the concrete block: - Number of mouths of pipe: XLVIII (forty-eight) - Construction site: Lipót Boulevard (today Szent István Boulevard) - Probable date of construction: 1900-1905 - Geological survey: In the course of the network reconstruction in approx. 1980.

Related photos

  • Cable-duct concrete block, with XLVIII (48) opening

Recent news
Postamúzeum
E-mail: info@postamuzeum.hu
Phone: +36 1 269 6838
+36 1 322 4240
Address: 1068 Budapest, Benczúr u. 27.
Show on Google Maps
Current language: english
All rights reserved © 2013